"Create in me a clean heart, O Lord, and renew a steadfast spirit within me" Psalms 51:10

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Double Word Score F A M I L Y



I've been on a mission in my home to add a little color lately. My husband and I have very different styles and over the years the one thing we can meet in the middle on is the color brown. We both like chocolate brown and dark woods. Unfortunately that has left us with a very dull interior. We are realizing we need to rethink this plan, so I am out to find ways to add a touch of color in fun ways that will please everyone in our household.

This was our latest project. I saw the idea to use scrabble tiles to write your families name on pinterest, and in my effort to brighten up our home I decided that we would put them on a painted canvas.

This was a great project to do with our kids. While I mixed paints and did a first coat of paint they worked on configuring all our names into a crossword. We ran into a little trouble when we realized that scrabble doesn't come with three B's but my boys quickly rearranged the tiles so that we connected the B's and had enough.

Afterwards, I let the kids paint a second coat and we mixed a little orange and red to create textured background. Then after it dried I helped them place the letters and glue them on.

In hindsight I wish I had put a little bit of separation between the letters so that it filled the canvas better, but all in all I am happy with the way it turned out. It looks beautiful on the wall with our family pictures and brightens up that space just a bit.

If you stop by please leave a comment, We love 'em!
 

Happy to be linking up with the following parties:
Skip to my Lou
Hope Studio
Coastal Charm 
Not Just a Housewife
French Country Cottage 

3 comments:

  1. I love this!! What a great idea to make as gifts for family. I love the color, bet you do too. Perfect place on the gallery wall with family photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that would be cool for a grandparents Christmas
    gift....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute idea! I don't know how old your kids are, but you could possibly add their handprints to the canvas to fill it in. ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. Hope you'll join the fun each week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete